Tofu Vegetable Stir Fry
This simple tofu stir fry makes a healthy, filling meal, and one of the best things about stir fries like this is you can prepare them in just a few minutes.
We are using spring onion, red pepper and mushrooms as our vegetables, but you can mix and match, adding asparagus, red onion, broccoli, or anything else you wish to use.
The sauce is made with broth, vinegar, sesame oil, soy sauce and a little chilli sauce for some heat. Again, you can tweak these ingredients if you want. Not everyone will want to add the chilli sauce. Serve the finished stir fry with steamed basmati rice or jasmine rice, or else on a bed of noodles.
Photo by Meal Makeover Moms, on Flickr
- chicken broth – 250 ml
- red wine vinegar – 1 tablespoon
- sesame oil – 1 tablespoon
- black pepper – 3/4 teaspoon
- soy sauce – 2 tablespoons
- cornflour – 1 tablespoon
- white sugar – 1/2 teaspoon
- Asian chilli sauce – 1/2 teaspoon
- vegetable oil – 1 tablespoon
- peeled, minced ginger – 2 tablespoons
- minced spring onion – 1
- sliced fresh shiitake mushrooms – 115g
- green beans – 75g (optional)
- chopped red pepper in 3cm cubes – 1
- firm tofu in 2cm cubes – 450g
- salt – to taste
- Stir the broth, vinegar, sesame oil, black pepper, soy sauce, cornflour, sugar, and chilli sauce together to make the sauce.
- Warm the vegetable oil in a wok, then add the ginger and spring onion.
- Cooking for 30 seconds, stirring all the time.
- Add the mushrooms and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the green beans here too, if using.
- Add the red pepper and stir for a minute.
- Cover the wok and cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Uncover the wok and gently stir the tofu into the stir fry mixture.
- Stir the sauce to dissolve the cornflour, then add it to the wok.
- Cook for 2 minutes or until the tofu is heated through and the sauce is thick.
- Add salt to taste, then serve over rice or noodles.