Simple Vanilla French Toast
French toast makes a great breakfast or snack for the whole family. This recipe is basically bread dipped into an egg mixture and then fried until golden brown. We are using eggs and milk for the dipping mixture, flavoured with vanilla, either cinnamon or nutmeg, salt, and vanilla. Use thick bread for this recipe because it is like likely to tear.
You can use white, wholemeal, multigrain, or any kind of bread you want. Actually, raisin bread works really nicely for French toast. Serve the French toast hot, perhaps with maple syrup or golden syrup, fresh berries or chopped fruit, a pat of butter, some lemon juice or chocolate sauce, or whatever else you like. Some people like to have it with bacon and sausages, as a savoury breakfast.
French toast is one of the easiest recipes to make, and you probably already have the ingredients in the cupboard. Most people have bread, milk, eggs and some simple seasonings on hand. You can switch the vanilla for almond if you like, or leave it out.
Photo by Inspired Taste
- eggs - 2
- milk - 160 ml
- ground cinnamon or nutmeg - 1/4 teaspoon
- vanilla extract - 1 teaspoon
- salt - to taste
- bread - 6 thick slices
- Beat the eggs with the milk, cinnamon or nutmeg, vanilla and salt.
- Heat a nonstick frying pan over a medium-high heat.
- Dip each slice of bread in the egg mixture, to coat both sides.
- Put the bread in the frying pan.
- Cook the French toast on both sides until golden brown, then serve hot.