- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Serving: For 6 People
Pumpkin Soup Recipe
This tasty pumpkin soup recipe is made with pumpkin, onion, chicken stock and cream. It offers a thick, velvety texture and a fresh flavour. Pumpkin soup recipes vary. Some are enhanced with ingredients like allspice, cinnamon, cloves and brown sugar, while others might have bacon or even chilli flakes in there. Pumpkin soup may be served as it is, or you can use a hand blender, regular blender or food processor to puree it to a chunky or smooth consistency.
We are keeping the recipe deliberately simple here so you can taste all the flavours it offers, such as the sweet pumpkin, tasty onion and meaty chicken stock. Save the pumpkin seeds if you like. Toss them in oil and salt then roast them at 150 degrees C for 45 minutes. You can sprinkle these over the finished soup or enjoy them as a nutritious snack.
Croutons are also delicious with pumpkin soup. To make those, trim the crusts off sliced bread and cut the bread into squares. Fry them in oil in a frying pan until they are crisp. This soup recipes makes enough for six servings but if you have leftovers, it will freeze for up to two months.
- Finely chopped onions - 2
- olive oil - 4 tablespoons
- peeled chopped pumpkin - 1 kg
- chicken stock - 700 ml
- thickened cream - 140 ml
- croutons - handful
- Heat the oil in a pot, then add the onions and cook them for 5 minutes.
- Add the pumpkin and cook for a further 10 minutes, stirring often, or until tender.
- Add the chicken stock along with some salt and pepper.
- Bring the pumpkin soup to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the cream, bring the soup back to a boil, then turn off the heat.
- Use a hand blender to puree the soup.
- Serve topped with croutons if liked.