Oriental Beef with Spring Onions Recipe
This rich, earthy and aromatic beef recipe is delicious. Make our oriental beef with spring onions and you can enjoy a true taste of the East.
You will need beef tenderloin for this, along with green onions and garlic. The marinade features Chinese wine or dry sherry, and then we are making a sauce with sesame, soy sauce, oyster sauce and more. These are all bold-tasting ingredients to buoy and support the natural richness of the beef.
Any occasion is right for this oriental beef with spring onions recipe. Make it if you're going to a potluck supper, if you want to make something special for the family, or if you're just in the mood for something rich and meaty. It's good with rice but you can choose noodles if you prefer.
- thinly sliced beef tenderloin - 225g
- soy sauce - 1 teaspoon
- cornflour - 1 teaspoon
- Chinese Shaoxing wine or dry sherry - 1 teaspoon
- cooking oil - 2 1/2 tablespoons
- sliced yellow onion - 1/2
- thinly sliced garlic cloves - 3
- sesame oil - 1/4 teaspoon
- white sugar - 1 tablespoon
- white pepper powder - 1 pinch
- light soy sauce - 2 tablespoons
- dark soy sauce - 1/2 teaspoon
- oyster sauce - 2 teaspoons
- salt - to taste
- spring onions (green onions) in 5cm strips - 3
- Marinate the slices of beef for 15 minutes in the soy sauce, cornflour and Chinese wine or dry sherry.
- Heat a tablespoon of the oil in a wok, then stir-fry the beef until half-cooked.
- Drain off any liquid then set the beef to one side.
- Heat the rest of the oil in the wok and stir-fry the yellow onion and garlic until they start to smell good.
- Put the beef back in the wok and stir.
- Next add the sesame oil, sugar, white pepper, soy sauce, oyster sauce and a pinch of salt.
- Keep cooking until the beef is done, then add the spring onions.
- Add more salt and/or sugar to taste, then serve right away.