Garlic and Ginger Steamed Mussels Recipe
This recipe is really easy, and it is one of the best ways to prepare mussels. Although a typical Western cooking suggestion would be to cook the mussels in butter, lemon juice and white wine, along with garlic, here we are making a more Eastern take on the recipe, using garlic, ginger, spring onions, chillies and coriander. You can omit the coriander if you prefer, or use less of it.
The mussels will only take about 6 minutes to cook. Just lifting the lid off the pan occasionally to check to see if the shells are opening. Some people remove the mussels individually as the shells open, but you don’t have to do that unless you want to.
How to Serve Fresh Mussels
Once they are all open you can drain off the liquid, then whisk some butter into the mussel liquid to enrich it, before serving the mussels with the liquid poured over. Offer crusty bread on the side and perhaps some lemon wedges too. This recipe makes 4 medium servings or 2 or 3 large ones.
- mussels - 1 kg
- minced garlic cloves - 2 or 3
- finely chopped fresh ginger - small piece
- finely chopped spring onions - 4
- finely sliced red chillies - 1 or 2
- white wine - 2/3 cup
- water - 1/2 cup
- butter - 2 tablespoons
- fresh coriander - 1 bunch (optional)
- First scrub the mussel shells under cold running water and discard any beards.
- Discard any that do not close when tapped lightly.
- Put the garlic, ginger, onion, chillies and about ¾ of the coriander (if using) in a large pot.
- Pour in the water and white wine.
- Bring this mixture to a boil, then simmer for 2 minutes.
- Now add the mussels and cover with a lid.
- Cook for 6 minutes, shaking the pan occasionally, or until the shells are open.
- Discard any which have not opened.
- Turn the mussels into a colander and keep the liquid.
- Return the liquid to the pan with the butter and whisk, adding the rest of the coriander (if using).
- Divide the mussels between 4 serving bowls and pour the liquid on top.
- Serve with crusty pieces of bread and slices of lemon if liked.