- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Serving: For 4 People
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 400 approx.
Foolproof Cheese Souffle Recipe
Despite popular opinion, making a souffle doesn't have to be difficult. If you are wondering just how simple it can be, consider the following recipe for cheese souffle and find out for yourself.
This makes a great snack or brunch. You can use any cheese you like, such as goat's cheese or blue cheese, but extra-mature cheddar is especially good, and smoked cheese yields a flavourful result too.
When beating the egg whites, use an electric whisk rather than a balloon whisk, for a speedier result, and ensure the bowl and whisk are both spotlessly clean, else you might have trouble getting the egg white to hold peaks.
Photo by FoodThinkers on Flickr
- butter - 50g plus more for greasing
- breadcrumbs - 25g
- plain flour - 50g
- milk - 300ml
- mustard powder - 1 teaspoon
- eggs - 4
- grated cheese - 100g
- salt and black pepper - to taste
- Grease a 15cm soufflé dish and sprinkle in the breadcrumbs.
- Shake out any excess breadcrumbs.
- Melt the butter over a moderate heat.
- Stir in the mustard and flour.
- Cook for 1 minute, stirring all the time.
- Take the pan off the heat and stir in some of the milk.
- Stir it in then add more milk, and repeat until all the milk is used.
- Return the pan to the heat and keep cooking it for 10 minutes or until thick, stirring all the time.
- Transfer it into a bowl and let it cool down.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C and put a baking sheet on the middle shelf.
- Crack the eggs and separate the whites and yolks.
- Put the yolks in the sauce.
- Stir the cheese into the sauce and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Beat the egg whites using a clean whisk until you get soft peaks.
- Stir the whipped egg whites into the soufflé mixture with a metal spoon, using figure-8 motions.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared dish.
- Run a knife around the edge to make a top-hat effect (so it will rise above the rim without sticking).
- Put the dish on the baking sheet and bake for 25 minutes or until the top is risen and golden brown.
- Serve right away.