Cod and Tomato Tray Bake
This dish is popular because you can throw it together and it makes a quick and easy dinner for the family. As well as the cod, you will need passata, which is sieved tomatoes, vegetables, beans and some fresh basil.
Tweaks You Can Make
Feel free to switch the cod for tilapia or another firm-fleshed white fish. You can also add other vegetables which need to be used up, such as mushrooms, asparagus or aubergine.
Serve this either with mashed potato or white rice. It would also go with fries or some warmed crusty bread if you want to add some crunch to the meal. Butter beans are healthy but if you prefer kidney beans or chickpeas, just use those here instead.
As soon as the fish is cooked through, the dish is ready to serve. You can also keep it warm in the oven for a while if your side dishes aren’t quite ready yet.
- cherry tomatoes – 250g
- red onions, in wedges – 2
- red bell peppers, chopped – 2
- black olives, hulled – 8
- passata (sieved tomatoes) – 340g
- skinless cod fillets – 4
- butterbeans, drained – 400g
- fresh basil leaves – handful
- salt and black pepper – to taste
- Preheat the oven to 220C.
- Roast the tomatoes, onion and pepper on a lightly greased baking tray for 15 minutes.
- Now stir in the olives, passata, beans and some salt and pepper to taste.
- Nestle the cod into the passata mixture.
- Bake for 15 minutes more or until the fish is cooked.
- Sprinkle over the basil and serve.