Butter Chicken Recipe
Butter Chicken, also called as Murgh Makhni is a popular main course dish that originated from India in 1950 at the Moti Mahal restaurant in Delhi, India. It is a non-spicy, rich tomato gravy dish with marinated and grilled or roasted chicken. The dish is now quite popular abroad with many Indian restaurants in the US, UK, Australia, and Canada serving this dish to its guests.
Serves – 4
- Boneless chicken pieces – 250 gm
- Chopped onions – 2
- Pureed tomato – 2
- Ginger Garlic paste – 1 tbsp
- Coriander Powder – 2 tbsp
- salt to taste
- Chili powder – 1 tbsp
- Garam masala – 1/2 tsp
- Fresh cream – 1/2 cup
- Cashews – 1/2 cup
- Turmeric powder – 1 tbsp
To grill chicken pieces, see the recipe – Chicken Tikka
For cashew paste
Soak cashews for half and hour and then boil them water for 7 to 8 minutes. Strain and grind them to a fine paste.
- Heat some butter or oil in a pan and add chopped onions to it. Sauté till they turn golden brown
- Add ginger garlic paste, turmeric powder, salt, coriander powder and chili powder and mix it well.
- Add tomato puree and mix well. Let it simmer for 4-5 min till the gravy becomes thick.
- Now let the above mixture sit for a while off heat at a room temperature. After 15 to 20 minutes, grind the above mixture to a fine paste. This will give it a required orange color.
- Now put the mixture back into the pan and cover it with lid and cook for 10 minutes, add cashew nut paste to it with some water.
- Add garam masala. Stir for a while on low flame. Do not boil it.
- Put in the grilled chicken pieces to the gravy and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add cream and serve hot.