The Best Gingerbread Cake Recipe
This gingerbread cake is easy to make and it’s nice served with a cup of tea or coffee. You can have it cold but for the best treat, eat it still warm from the oven! It’s nice with cream or custard, or you can have it by itself.
The batter for this cake is quite liquid but don’t worry about that because it will firm up as it cooks. The cooking time is about 35 minutes but depending on your oven it might be a few minutes less or more so keep an eye on it towards the end of the cooking time. You will be able to see when it’s cooked.
Ginger, cinnamon and golden syrup are used to add a sweet, rich flavour to this gingerbread cake. You will also need a 20cm square baking tin, or a similar sized round one.
If tasty, moist cakes appeal to your palate, this is certainly a recipe you should try, especially if you love the flavour of ginger. It’s really good, and it’s also pretty easy to make, even if you’re new to baking.
- white sugar – 100g
- butter – 115g
- golden syrup – 175g
- medium egg – 1
- plain flour – 200g
- ground ginger – 1/2 teaspoon
- salt – 3/4 teaspoon
- bicarbonate of soda – 3/4 teaspoon
- ground cinnamon – 1/2 teaspoon
- water – 125ml
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C.
- Grease and lightly flour a 20cm square baking tin.
- Now cream the sugar and butter until light.
- Add the syrup and egg and beat well.
- Sieve the flour with the ginger, salt, bicarbonate of soda, and cinnamon.
- Bring the water to a boil.
- Add the water alternately with flour mixture to the creamed mixture.
- Make sure you beat it well after each addition.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking tin.
- Bake for 35 minutes then serve warm.