Banana Cake Recipe
Few things beat a slice of banana cake spread with butter and perhaps also some honey, served warm from the oven. Pair this with a cup of tea or coffee and you will not be able to stop that big smile from spreading across your face. Our banana cake recipe is easy to make and the results are wonderful. You should use an electric mixer to combine the ingredients if you have one because there is quite a lot of whisking and beating involved.
This cake comes out best if the ingredients are combined really well and the batter is light and fluffy, so this is not a recipe where you can take short cuts! To make our delicious banana cake, you will need mashed bananas, flour, baking powder, eggs, sugar, and corn oil. A few drops of banana flavouring can make the banana flavour even more intense but you can omit this ingredient if you don’t have any.
Check the cake after about 35 minutes in the oven because some ovens cook faster than others. Pierce the centre of the cake using a long sharp knife. If the knife comes out clean the cake is done. If not, give it another few minutes then check again. Let the cake cool in the tin and then on a wire rack.
- plain flour – 135 g
- baking powder – 2 teaspoons
- eggs – 2
- egg yolk – 1
- white sugar – 125 g
- corn oil – 65 ml
- mashed banana – 200 g
- banana flavouring – few drops
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C and line a loaf tin with greaseproof paper.
- Combine the flour and baking powder and set aside.
- Beat the eggs and egg yolk with the sugar until the mixture is creamy and light in colour.
- Add the mashed banana and keep beating for 10 minutes until the mixture is thick.
- You can use an electric beater to do this unless you want a really good arm workout!
- Mix in the flour mixture then fold in a few drops of banana flavouring and the oil.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and bake it for about 35 minutes or until done.