Authentic Dragon Soup with Chicken
Dragon soup, which is also known as Lóng Fèng Tāng, is a Chinese sweet and sour soup, made using a curried chicken and coconut broth. Sometimes fish is used instead of chicken.
If you want to make your dragon soup vegetarian, leave out the chicken and swap the chicken stock for vegetable stock. If you can get chicken or pork chashu (char siu) then you can use 4 slices of that instead.
This soup is really good, and you can serve it for any meal. The recipe makes 6 appetizer sized portions or perhaps 3 or 4 main dish sized ones. The amount of chilli you add to the recipe is up to you. Some people like plenty of spice in this, while others might prefer a milder result.
You will find the combination of meat, vegetables, lychees, garlic, curry and lemon magical. This could very well become your new favourite soup recipe!
- chicken stock - 1 litre
- cooked chicken - 100g
- mushrooms - 100g
- carrots - 3
- spring onion - 4
- tin of lychees - 400g
- tin of coconut milk - 400g
- tomato paste - 3 tablespoons
- minced garlic cloves - 2
- beansprouts - small handful
- curry powder - 2 tablespoons
- lemon zest - 1/4 teaspoon
- fresh minced red chilli pepper - to taste
- salt and black pepper - to taste
- Cut the chicken, mushrooms, carrots, spring onion and lychees into small pieces.
- Bring the broth to a boil.
- Add the coconut milk, tomato paste, lychee juice, garlic, chilli, carrots and curry powder.
- Simmer the soup for 5 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients and simmer for a further 5 minutes.
- Add salt and black pepper to taste.
- Divide the soup between 6 bowls and serve hot.